Themed hiking trails are in demand among hikers today, because it has been recognized that the modern hiker not only roams through the area, but also wants to experience something of cultural and historical interest. A site meeting of the habbergverein ermershausen with representatives of the habberge nature park at the wolfsgrube on the "rehberg" in ermershausen, 2011 had led to the idea of creating a theme trail in the area of ermershausen, birkenfeld and dippach.
At the time, no one among the people in charge in ermershausen had any idea of the work the undertaking would entail. Now, after about a year, the project is complete. The name was found very quickly, because almost all the objects along the ten-kilometer-long "huttenweg" are located here the three villages of ermershausen, birkenfeld and dippach used to have something to do with the lordship of the land.
From the town hall in ermershausen, the path with the red tower leads to a suhne cross at the "kohlplatte". The history of this cross is almost 400 years old: the thirty years war (1618 – 1648) had brought a very hard time for the village of ermershausen, which was situated on a busy military road. The war hordes passing through the town took a heavy toll on the people's bodies and money. That is why the people of ermershausen sent out guards again and again to report enemy soldiers. 1648 a single rider jolted along the old baunach road. The tower guard spotted the horseman and shot him dead. He held in his hands a scroll of parchment, which reported on the conclusion of peace and was to be brought to konigshofen. The suhne cross at the "kohlplatte commemorates the place where the messenger of peace breathed his last.
From there, the B279 is crossed and the theme trail leads to the wolf pit between ermershausen and allertshausen. A wolf pit is a pit three to four meters deep, usually lined with stones, for catching wolves. In former times the wolf was considered a very dangerous animal, which had to be eliminated.
Station at the jewish cemetery
Further on the path crosses the B 279 again and leads to the jewish cemetery on the rehberg. The resting place was built in 1832 for the jewish population of ermershausen and maroldsweisach. The cemetery is also the final resting place of the grandmother of the former american secretary of state, henry kissinger, karoline kissinger.
The "gesundheitsbrunnlein" was built by freifrau juliane von wollwarth, owner of the castle in birkenfeld. She is a descendant of the von hutten family in the castle of birkenfeld. Many facilities in the area of birkenfeld are to be owed to it.
It is not far from the gesundheitsbrunnlein to the count's castle in birkenfeld. In 1494 johann conrad von hutten built the present castle. The castle was built according to the plans of johann david steingruber, an inspector of the land of brandenburg. Birkenfeld was the smallest market town in bavaria. Since freifrau juliane von wollwarth married count franz carl zu ortenburg in 1841, the castle and estate became the property of the counts of ortenburg with their ancestral seat in tambach.
A wide view of the bavarian and thuringian countryside
Between birkenfeld and dippach there is a viewpoint on the top of the hill. From this place you have a wide view into the bavarian and thuringian land. On the left hand you can see the gleichberge in thuringia. To the right, the zeilberg near maroldsweisach looks out over it, and to the right, the buchelberg.
The ruins of today's dippach castle must have existed as a noble residence before the peasant wars, because in 1525 the castle with the chapel was destroyed by the bildhauser heap. The possession never came since that time again on the fube. Today the ruins belong to the municipality of maroldsweisach.
From the ruins of dippach goes back on the long grundstrabe and the corridor schindfessel to ermershausen, where you pass the old dairy. This estate used to belong to the manor, was bought by the municipality of ermershausen at the beginning of the sixties and later given into private hands.
Arrived at the starting point, there is the possibility to relax in the inn "goldener schwan" to recover from the historical hike. The huttenweg is intended for day hikes and complements the burgen- und schlosserweg (gruner turm), which runs partly parallel to it. The date for the official opening is not yet available.
A red tower with three battlements is the distinctive mark for the theme hiking trail. The route starts at the town hall in ermershausen, where it also ends again. The path is about ten kilometers long.