Prosecutor does not want to call buffon before em

prosecutor does not want to call buffon before em

"I won’t call him in. That became italy’s european championship preparation storen," said cremonas prosecutor roberto di martino, who described himself as a fan of the team. Should the goalkeeper of juventus turin, however, want to make a statement about the manipulation of results and bets, he would "gladly listen to him," di martino was quoted as saying in the "gazzetta dello sport".

Meanwhile, the tax and finance authorities are investigating possible illegal betting activities by buffon. According to the news agency ansa, the goalkeeper is suspected of having used about 1.5 million euros for betting purposes. Investigators had examined 14 bank checks deposited at a betting office in parma between january and september 2010.

Buffon’s lawyer indicated to investigators that the goalkeeper had given the checks to a trusted person to arrange financial transactions for him in parma. The italian fubball association prohibits players from any betting involvement.

Buffon had said last week in reference to an alleged result agreement last season: "if two teams want to play a draw, that’s their business. Sometimes they say: two casualties are better than one death."

On wednesday, the captain of the azzurri stressed that he did not want to justify any collusion on results. He had merely described the situation in which two teams are satisfied with a draw. Buffon said it was a disgrace that the media knew about the prosecution’s actions earlier than the people involved.

By order of the prosecutor’s office cremona had been arrested on monday 19 people, including many footballers on suspicion of sports fraud. Police officers searched the room of national player domenico criscito at the azzurri training camp. An investigation has been initiated against the defender on suspicion of match-fixing. National coach cesare prandelli subsequently removed him from the european championship squad.

"He could have gone to the european championship," said the prosecutor di martino. A travel ban has not been imposed. Criscito’s likewise incriminated teammate leonardo bonucci, however, is in the european championship squad. According to media reports, however, the defender of juventus turin must expect an investigation notice from the prosecutor’s office of bari.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.